The tentative schedule for the Expedition is as follows:
The Expedition will be carried out during Jan.-Feb., 1997. The following sets forth a rough monthly schedule for the Project:
December 1995 Announcement
15 January 1996 Initial team selection
31 January 1996 Final team selection
September 1996 Team training.
October 1996 Gear shipped
December 1996 -January-February 1997 Expedition
During the weekend of 28-29 September, 1996, the team will meet in the San Francisco Bay Area to assemble the gear, test the equipment, receive training in emergency procedures, and pack the crates for shipping. This meeting will serve to establish interpersonal relationships, develop team procedures, and ensure safety.
A "go/no-go" decision will be made by the Executive Board several times during the course of the planning. This decision will be based on the likely available resources compared to the likely required resources. If it appears that the project cannot obtain the required resources, it will be cancelled. The process of cancellation is described in "Policies." The dates and issue for the go/no-go decisions are:
15 Jan 1996 Initial team is qualified (moved to 31 January)
1 May 1996 Permit, transportation, schedule are in place
15 July 1996 Financing is adequate
1 October 1996 Preparation is adequate and gear is ready to ship
1 January 1997 Team is ready
The Executive Board will issue a statement on each of these occasions detailing the decision and supporting information.